Thursday 14 January 2010

013 - Shoot

YEAH cover shoot

Today I was in the studio for, well, my first ever portrait shoot. Up until now I haven't shy'd away from the studio, but I've avoided photographing people. I suppose that's part of the reason I came to Bournemouth, to learn new things, expand my abilities. When YEAH Magazine asked me to shoot the front and back cover for the next issue, with a theme of 'Girls and Boys', I jumped at it.
I first got some great inspiration from Edward Weston's classic nudes, as well as Andreas Bitesnich, who I discovered through this page of amazing images. The idea began as having two models (a girl and boy) shot nude, one facing away from the camera, and one towards. Then reversing the directions for the back cover. However, with a last minute drop out from a model I had to change things around. Unable to find a nude model in 6 hours I pulled in the housemates. But as they were uncomfortable with being photographed naked I had to rethink the shoot. So I decided to try and create a bed scene within the studio, quickly realising the difficulty of lighting 2 models on a white floor with white linen. The differences between the front and back cover transferred to having one model turned over/asleep whilst the other was awake.
It was actually a really good, fun shoot. I got lucky with my housemates actually turning out to be pretty great in front of the camera. Now I have the next 20 hours to edit the shots and get them over to YEAH HQ. But here's a behind the scenes look of my feet and the lovely Camilla:



No comments:

Post a Comment